Bukovinian State Medical University is one of the largest higher educational establishment in Chernivtsi. It is a modern multi-profile educational institution of the IV accreditation level, included into the general register of the WHO, Magna Charta Universitatum (Bologna, Italy), the Association of the Carpathian Region Universities that provides qualified training according to the grading system of education. The University includes a medical lyceum, Chernivtsi, Vashkivtsi, Novoselytsia, and Kovel’ (Volyn’) Medical Colleges, 4 medical faculties, stomatological and pharmaceutical faculties, the department of post-graduate education, preparatory department for foreign students.
Post-graduate education of doctors is realized at the Internship and Mastership, and the Doctoring Departments, in Clinical Residency, at the post-residency courses, as well as via pre-attestation course, the course of improvement of medical knowledge, specialization and professional courses.
Kyiv Productive Medical Institute (1931-1936) – 2nd Kyiv State Medical Institute (1936 -1944) – Chernivtsi Medical Institute (1944-1997) – Bukovinian State Medical Academy (1997-2005) – since 2005 – Bukovinian State Medical University – such is a brief history of the foundation and development of a newly formed higher school in 1931 and its transformation into the present BSMU
4374 students study at the University now, 1675 of them are foreign citizens from 32 countries. They have been taught since 1994, and since 2004 English has been introduced as the language of instruction. The number of foreign students from India, Somali, Nigeria, Ghana, Pakistan, Ethiopia, Sudan, the US, and other countries has been increasing from year to year.